Week in Review: March 3rd
As I stated last week I have started a "my week in review" feature covering everything from my look of the week, articles or books I'm reading, music I'm listening to, shows I'm watching and beauty and style products I'm using/are on my wish list! I'll also talk about what's new in Detroit or what I'm up to! I hope you enjoy and have a fabulous weekend!
A weekly playlist of my favorite songs.
Look of the Week
Style & Beauty Finds
1. Virgo's Lounge Taylor Dress- This dress has been on my Pinterest Wish List for years! I'm so excited that Virgo's Lounge is bringing it back because it's absolutely beautiful. Perfect for a wedding or a fancy night out!
2. Madewell The Cary Sandal in Leather- I am head over heels (sorry love the puns) for these! I love the bootie trend and these will work well in Spring and Summer. I saw them in the store and felt that the insole is super squishy, which indicates these are super comfortable.
3. Popinjay Fin Shoulder Bag- One of my good friends used to be on the Popinjay team and their bags are absolutely beautiful and well constructed. I love the hint of color on this one and that the company believes in ethical, quality craftsmanship. The embroidery on the bags is done by women in Pakistan, which gives them the ability to earn their own income and gain some independence.
4. La Mer Crème de la Mer- This is definitely a LUXURY ($85 for o.5oz!) item and I'm excited because I received it as a free sample from Sephora! I will definitely do a review and let you know if it is the miracle product La Mer claims.
5. zeroUV 1950's Vintage Mod Fashion Cat Eyeglasses- Still on the hunt for new eyeglasses. I love the shape of this pair, plus the price tag!
Articles From Around the Internet
- The Muse Get Out and the Threat of the White Monster
- BuzzFeed 16 Things You Should Know If You’re Considering An IUD
- The New York Times Janet Mock: Young People Get Trans Rights. It’s Adults Who Don’t.
- Electric Lit 34 Books by Women of Color to Read This Year
- Humans of New York Heloisa & Her Mother
I Am Not Your Negro- I had the pleasure of watching this documentary last Friday with my good friend Natali. Director Raoul Peck based the documentary on James Baldwin's unfinished manuscript Remember This House with narration by actor Samuel L. Jackson. The film offers profound narration about race in America, using Baldwin's original words and notes on the lives and assassinations of his contemporaries, Medgar Evers, Malcolm X, and Martin Luther King Jr. It explores and brings a fresh perspective to the current racial climate and narrative in America.
Blogger I'm ❤️️ Loving
Nelly from Musesuniform is the definition of Black Girl Magic! I originally discovered her blog on Pinterest when one of her beauty looks & hairstyle posts popped up. I love the way she plays with shape and texture when it comes to her style and her photos always have beautiful Paris in the background. Though her blog is in French 🇫🇷 her style is not lost in translation. You can also find her here!
Matthaei Botanical Gardens- Though not exactly Detroit (trust me I hate when people call the Metro-area Detroit) the botanical gardens located in Ann Arbor were the location of this week's "look of the week" shoot. Admission to the garden is free, though they do ask for a small donation if you are visiting. It is the perfect place to go and be with nature, especially when it's cold outside. Some of the Bonsai trees shown in the picture above have been trained for over 30 years!
Another post where my hair is super short! I am still in love with all of my earrings by PeaceImages Jewelry. You can find more beautiful pieces here!