Week in Review: April 7th
A weekly playlist of my favorite songs.
Style & Beauty Finds
This week I was in Rhode Island with my brother who got into Brown University! The trip was just a couple of days which meant that for an over-packer like me, I had to prioritize what to bring. Luckily I have the perfect overnight/weekend bag that made packing for a two night trip easy. As a long-time Vera Bradley fan, I was happy to find the triple compartment travel bag. It has a pocket for your laptop and even comes in a version with a cell phone charger! I used the laptop pocket for my computer, books, notebooks, and chargers. The middle pocket fit my clothes, underwear and one pair of shoes. Finally in the third pocket I was able to store all of my toiletries and makeup. I've linked below a few other overnight/weekend bags that I've heard good things about.
1. Longchamp Le Pliage Expandable Travel Bag - My Longchamp Le Pliage (which I talk about below) has made me a life long fan of the brand. Their bags are good quality and last a long time and I can see this expandable travel bag would be a perfect carry-on when you want to pack a bit more like shoes and toiletries as well as your clothes for a short trip.
2. Lululemon Fast Track Weekender - This weekender bag would also make a perfect gym bag when you're not traveling.
3. Longchamp Large Le Pliage Tote - I have written before about my own Le Pliage which I've had for the past six years and is still going strong! I've used this bag both for everyday and travel and it has served me well. It carries all my books, laptop, and cardigans, blankets, makeup bag and chargers with room to spare. It makes the perfect carry-on bag and if you roll your clothes you can pack a lot into it!
4. Vera Bradley Triple Compartment Travel Bag - The bag that I purchased for my short Rhode Island trip. It comes in a variety of colors and patterns, including a basic gray or black which is a bit more professional and grown up.
5. Lo & Sons The O.G. - As a blogger favorite, i've been hearing about The O.G. for years. One of my favorite bloggers, Laura from A Little Bit of Lacquer has used her bag for travel and as a hospital bag when she's had her babies. It's pretty roomy but lightweight and now also comes in a slightly smaller version (The O.M.G.).
Follow my 2017 50 Book Challenge, which in all honesty may become a 25 Book Challenge! I'm struggling ya'll! I think I overestimated my speed reading skills. I just finished reading Beloved by Toni Morrison, and I am now reading Like Water for Chocolate: A Novel in Monthly Installments with Recipes, Romances, and Home Remedies by Laura Esquivel! I loved the movie that the book is based on so I'm excited to get into this book.
Articles From Around the Internet
The New Yorker - The Desperate Journey of a Trafficked Girl
Feminist Current - You’ve Heard of Rape Culture, but have you heard of Pedophile Culture?
Beauty and the Beast - I was hesitant about seeing this movie because I thought it has been kind of lazy for Disney to just keep releasing live-action films based on stories that in some cases aren't even twenty years old! However, I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed this reimagining of the 1991 Disney classic. Belle has always been one of my favorite Disney princesses because she's smart, well-read, brave, and the one who ultimately saves her prince. Though the story can be a bit controversial, with people feeling like it excuses abusive behavior, I've always loved how determined Belle is to be in charge of her life, and not just go with what is expected of her. I liked how this version had some updates to the original (Belle is an inventor and they highlight how toxic Gaston's masculinity is). I would definitely recommend these film for both families and 90s Disney kids!
Blogger I'm ❤️️ Loving
Shannon in the City - Shannon is a Chicago based blogger, who shows off her affordable and thrifted finds. Her style is effortless and she always looks stylish and comfortable. Plus she has amazing hair, and does some of the most adorable braids, like the ones pictured in below and above. Her blog also features cute how-to's, like how to throw a bachelorette or a Galentine's Day Brunch! I also love following her on instagram because she posts lots of awesome makeup and hair tutorials in her instastories! You can find her on her blog or on instagram!
As I mentioned above I spent the middle of my week in the lovely Providence, Rhode Island helping my brother make the decision to accept his admission to Brown University's Masters of Public Affairs!
I just got home from Rhode Island! We're still settling in after our move and will probably spend the weekend unpacking and at our favorite place, Ikea!